Asian stocks hit record peak as vaccine hopes dampen virus fears
Asian stocks climbed with U.S. and European futures on Monday, buoyed by positive sentiment on regional trade and signs of opposition to a national American lockdown despite surging virus cases. The dollar fell.
- S&P 500 Index futures rose 0.8% as of 7:15 a.m. in London.
- The S&P 500 gained 1.4% Friday.
- MSCI Asia Pacific Index climbed 1.4%.Topix index rose 1.7%.Kospi index gained 2%.
- Hang Seng Index climbed 0.6%.
- Shanghai Composite Index rose 1.1%.
- Euro Stoxx 50 futures gained 0.9%.
- The yen advanced 0.1% to 104.53 per dollar.
- The offshore yuan rose 0.5% to 6.5702 per dollar.
- The Bloomberg Dollar Spot Index fell 0.2%.
- The euro advanced 0.1% to $1.1848.
- The pound climbed 0.2% to $1.3217.
- The yield on 10-year Treasuries dipped to 0.88%.
- Australia’s 10-year bond yield rose one basis point to 0.89%.
- West Texas Intermediate crude jumped 1.6% to $40.76 a barrel.
- Gold was at $1,887.65 an ounce, down 0.1%.