Asian Stocks mixed as hope rises on US-China Trade
Asian stocks were mixed on Tuesday as investors monitored further developments on the U.S.-China trade front, with the two economic powerhouses working toward a deal.
- In Japan, the Nikkei 225 rose 0.47% to close at 22,974.13 .
- The Topix gained 0.86% to finish its trading day at 1,662.68.
- South Korea’s Kospi closed slightly lower at 2,092.69.
- The S&P/ASX 200 in Australia rose fractionally to end its trading day at 6,745.40.
- The Hang Seng index in Hong Kong reversed earlier gains as it declined 0.39%, with Hong Kong-listed shares of HSBC dropping 1.24%.
- The U.S. dollar index, which tracks the greenback against a basket of its peers, was at 97.796 after touching highs above 97.8 yesterday.
- The Japanese yen traded at 108.95 against the dollar after weakening from levels below 108.9 in the previous session.
- The Australian dollar changed hands at $0.6853 after an earlier low of $0.6832.
- Oil prices shed earlier gains to slip in the afternoon of Asian trading hours, with international benchmark Brent crude futures 0.41% lower at $61.32 per barrel.
- U.S. crude futures declining 0.5% to $55.53 per barrel.