Asian stocks mixed; new US-China tariffs into effect
Asian stocks were mixed on Monday afternoon as new U.S. and China tariffs went into effect over the weekend.
- MSCI’s broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan dropped 0.24%,
- Shenzhen component was up 1.69%. The Shenzhen composite also gained 1.728%.
- Elsewhere, the Nikkei 225 in Japan shed 0.35%, while the Topix index also fell 0.37%.
- Over in South Korea, the Kospi rose 0.2%.
- Australia’s S&P/ASX 200traded 0.46% lower.
- Dollar dipped little against the yen to 106.12 yen.
- Euro was almost flat at $1.09905.
- Oil prices fell on Monday.
- Brent crude futures fell 0.37% to $59.03 a barrel while U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures were almost flat at $55.15.