Asian stocks were mostly lower on Tuesday
Asian stocks were mixed in thin trading Tuesday as investors awaited to see if Chinese and American officials can schedule a planned meeting this month to continue trade talks. Treasury yields ticked higher and the dollar strengthened.
- MSCI’s broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan shed 0.3% while Japan’s Nikkei rose by 0.1%.
- China’s mainland shares were fractionally lower while Hong Kong’s benchmark edged up 0.1%.
- The yen dipped 0.1% to 106.34 per dollar.
- The offshore yuan ticked 0.1% up to 7.1866 per dollar.
- The peso closed 0.88% stronger in official markets.
- Sterling dipped 0.25% to $1.2030
- The Australian dollar fell 0.1% to 67.08 U.S. cents.
- West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude lost 0.31% to $54.93 per barrel.
- International benchmark Brent futures rose 0.15% to $58.75 per barrel.