European markets fall heavily on spreading coronavirus
Asian shares fell Wednesday (Feb 26) on growing fears the spread of Covid-19 may be unstoppable, hurting global growth considerably.
- Japan’s benchmark Nikkei 225 declined 0.8% to finish at 22,426.19.
- Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 dipped2.3% to 6,708.10.
- South Korea’s Kospi lost 1.0% to 2,076.77.
- Hong Kong’s Hang Seng declined 0.8% to 26,674.67.
- The Shanghai Composite fell 0.8% to 2,987.93.
- The dollar rose to110.40 Japanese yen from 110.19 yen on Tuesday.
- The euro slid to $1.0872 from $1.0882.
- Benchmark crude oil shed 64cents to $49.86a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
- It fell $1.53 to $49.90 a barrel Tuesday.
- Brent crude oil, the international standard, shed 16 cents to $54.10a barrel.