World shares mostly lower in quiet pre-Christmas trading
World shares were mostly lower on Monday in quiet trading ahead of Christmas holidays for many markets.
- The S&P 500 rose 0.5% to 3,221.22. It is up 28.5% for the year.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 0.3%, to 28,455.09.
- The Nasdaq composite added 0.4%, to 8,924.96, while the Russell 2000 index of smaller company stocks picked up 0.3%., to 1,671.90.
- In Asia, Japan’s Nikkei 225 index was unchanged at 23,821.11
- The Hang Seng in Hong Kong also was flat, at 27,906.41.
- In South Korea, the Kospi was unchanged at 2,203.71.
- The Shanghai Composite index fell 1.4% to 2,962.75 and Australia’s S&P ASX 200 gave up 0.5% to 6,785.10.
- India’s Sensex lost 0.3% to 41,574.89.
- The dollar was flat at 109.37 Japanese yen on Friday.
- The euro strengthened to $1.1084 from $1.1073.