Asian stocks mixed; Oil prices jump more than 10%
Asian stocks were mixed in Monday afternoon trade, as oil prices surged following drone attacks over the weekend that hit major oil production facilities in Saudi Arabia.
- The Shanghai composite up 0.1%
- The Shenzhen component gained 0.34%.
- Shenzhen composite added 0.503%.
- Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index shed 1%.
- Shares of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing slipped 2.08%.
- Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 was fractionally higher.
- MSCI Asia ex-Japan index traded 0.35% lower.
- The U.S. dollar index, which tracks the greenback against a basket of its peers, was last at 98.169 after seeing highs above 98.8 last week.
- The Japanese yen, strengthened to 107.82 against the dollar after seeing lows above 108.0 late last week.
- The Australian dollar changed hands at $0.6878 after rising from levels below $0.684 in the previous trading week.