Asian shares were mostly higher Monday as investors awaited central bank decisions and earnings reports due out in coming weeks. U.S. stock markets will be closed in observance of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
- Japan’s benchmark Nikkei 225 edged 0.2% higher to 24,096.21.
- Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 added 0.4% to 7,088.50.
- South Korea’s Kospi rose 0.9% to 2,269.43.
- Hong Kong’s Hang Seng lost 0.4% to 28,949.21.
- The Shanghai Composite index gained 0.4% to 3,088.59.
- The dollar rose to 110.18 Japanese yen from 110.13 yen on Friday.
- The euro gained to $1.1099 from $1.1191.
- Benchmark crude oil rose 58 cents to $59.16 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. It gained 5 cents to $58.58 per barrel on Friday.
- Brent crude oil, the international standard, gained 73 cents to $66.58 a barrel.