China gains on GDP rebound. Asian shares fell on Monday following a retreat on Wall Street, but benchmarks in Hong Kong and Shanghai rose after data showed the Chinese economy grew a solid 2.3% in 2020.
- S&P 500 futures slid 0.2% as of 6:57 a.m. in London. The index fell 0.7% on Friday.
- Japan’s Topix index declined 0.6%.
- Hong Kong’s Hang Seng rose 0.8%.
- South Korea’s Kospi lost 2.3%.
- Shanghai Composite rose 0.9%.
- Euro Stoxx 50 futures lost 0.3%.
- The yen was at 103.73 per dollar, up 0.1%.
- The euro bought $1.2078.
- The offshore yuan traded at 6.4916 per dollar, down 0.1%.
- The yield on 10-year Treasuries ended last week at 1.08%.
- West Texas Intermediate crude slid 0.3% to $52.21 a barrel.
- Gold added 0.6% to $1,839 an ounce.