Global stocks paused near all-time highs and Treasuries steadied on Thursday, with a more sober mood reflecting concerns about fragile economic recoveries. The dollar held close to its lowest in more than two years.
European stocks opened mixed, with energy shares leading decliners.
- Futures on the S&P 500 Index were little changed at 8:24 a.m. London time.
- The Stoxx Europe 600 Index was little changed.
- The MSCI Asia Pacific Index advanced 0.5%.
- The MSCI Emerging Market Index gained 0.5%.
- The euro gained 0.1% to $1.2132.
- The British pound jumped 0.3% to $1.3404.
- The onshore yuan was little changed at 6.56 per dollar.
- The Japanese yen strengthened 0.1% to 104.32 per dollar.
- The yield on 10-year Treasuries gained less than one basis point to 0.94%.
- The yield on two-year Treasuries increased less than one basis point to 0.16%.
- Germany’s 10-year yield fell one basis point to -0.53%.
- Japan’s 10-year yield was unchanged at 0.026%.
- Britain’s 10-year yield fell one basis point to 0.348%.
- West Texas Intermediate crude climbed 0.1% to $45.31 a barrel.
- Brent crude increased 0.3% to $48.38 a barrel.
- Gold strengthened 0.4% to $1,839.33 an ounce.